Back problems are no fun. In fact, they can become a serious problem when left untreated. However, many people experience denial when it comes to their spinal health. If you are experiencing any of these signs, you may want to have your spine checked by a doctor of chiropractic.
1. While stopped at an intersection, you have to move your entire torso in order to see oncoming traffic. Your neck is supposed to rotate. If it doesn’t, for the sake of the pedestrians, please get your Atlas checked.
2. When you look up at the stars, it sounds like someone is snapping dry twigs. Snapping, grinding, and popping in the joints is not normal, especially if it is excessive. This is called joint crepitus and is a sign of degenerative joint disease.
3. You haven’t been able to touch your toes since high school. ‘Nuff said.
4. You spend 30 minutes in a hot shower just so you can “loosen up” for the day. If the muscles of the spine are that tight, you have a back problem that needs to be addressed. When the back joints are misaligned, the muscles tighten up as a result. Stretching alone most likely will not fix the problem.
5. You panic whenever you leave the house without your ibuprofen. In a pinch, anti-inflammatories can be beneficial for acute pain. However, they are never meant to be used long term. Not only are you just covering up symptoms, you are also damaging your liver, kidneys, and gastrointestinal tract.
6. Your kids don’t even ask you to play catch anymore because of your “bad back.” As a chiropractor, nothing is better than hearing my patients tell me that they can play with their kids again. Life is too short to spend it on the couch while everyone else is busy living.
7. You searched “home back pain remedies” on Google and WebMD. Don’t get me wrong. I applaud anyone who is willing to take an active role in their health. But if you really want good advice on how to manage your back pain, ask a professional.
8. You look like Shaggy from Scooby Doo when you walk. You see a happy-go-lucky ghost-hunting hippie food addict…I see a case of bad forward head carriage and kyphosis.
9. Your back pain has put a serious damper on your bedroom activities. Chiropractic care may be just the thing to help you put some sizzle back in your marriage. Just sayin’.
10. Even you facebook friends and twitter followers have suggested that you try a chiropractor. After seeing constant references to your headaches in your updates, even your online friends will intervene.
If any (or all) of these signs pertain to you, get a referral for a doctor of chiropractic. You will be glad you did!