Many people wish for migraine relief in Norton Shores. Migraineurs have a hard time dealing with the crippling and pounding pain in their heads. Migraines often cause a throbbing headache on only one side of the head. Migraines usually have
- Visual disturbances
- Nausea and vomiting
- Hypersensitivity to odors, sounds, and lights
People used to believe that migraines originate from problems with the blood vessels in the head. However, recent research countered this prevailing theory. Migraine pain seems to stem from a malfunction of the central nervous system.
Migraines: The Contributing Factors
The following on this list are some theories that tell possible underlying causes of migraines:
- Magnesium deficiency – Magnesium is essential for the nerves to function.
- Inflammation of the maxillary nerve – It is a branch of the trigeminal nerve that runs behind the cheekbone. This nerve is in charge of the sensations in the nose and mouth.
- Low levels of serotonin (this is a neurotransmitter that regulates appetite, sleep, and mood) inducing a painful contraction of the blood vessels
- Neuropeptides (small protein-like molecules) that cause pain receptors to trigger due to inflammation
- An abnormality in the way cells transfer calcium ions, which disrupts nerve signals
- Hormonal fluctuations, particularly estrogen (female hormones)
- The discharge of nitric oxide (a chemical that causes blood vessels to dilate) by overactive neurons
Without a full understanding of these migraine contributors, patients may have a hard time getting migraine relief in Norton Shores.
To learn more about the connection between head and neck injuries and migraines download our complimentary e-book Natural and Drug-Free Ways to End Your Migraines by clicking the image below.
How Do Migraines Develop?
So far, researchers identify the cascade of biochemical reactions that happens, which triggers an inflammatory response and an overreaction of the trigeminal nerve.
What is the trigeminal nerve? It is a crucial pathway that controls pain sensations in the face and the head. Its overexcitement extends to other nerves in the meninges (this is the protective membrane that covers the brain) and causes pain and other migraine symptoms.
What Are The Migraine Triggers?
While each migraine attack is as unique as the person suffering from it, there are specific triggers that make it likely for a migraine attack to happen. Migraine triggers usually belong in the following categories:
- Hunger or dehydration
- Loud noises – loud music or construction work noise
- Strong odors – air fresheners, perfume, decaying matter
- Hormone changes – pregnancy, menstruation, birth control pills, or hormone replacement therapy
- Physical activity – carrying heavy objects or exercise
- Emotional stress levels either decreasing or increasing
- Bright lights – direct sunlight or light from a movie screen
- Weather changes – barometric pressure, temperature changes, and humidity
- Chemical additives and certain foods – MSG, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, nuts, aged cheeses, and processed meats (cold cuts or hot dogs)
- Sleep pattern changes – oversleeping or not enough sleep
Learning your migraine triggers can help you be one step ahead of an attack and get migraine relief in Norton Shores.
Migraines with Aura: What Makes it Different?
Migraines with aura are mostly the same thing as migraines. The only significant difference is the addition of “an aura.” The “aura” is a disturbance you experience right before the actual head pain.
In some cases, you may acquire an aura but never get the head pain after. The aura is assumed to link to a part of the brain that manages signals from your senses. An electrical wave activates this aura.
Some individuals start to have warning signs a few days or hours before they get a migraine attack. This stage is called the pre-headache phase. It can include the following:
- Stiff neck muscles
- Feeling very tired
- Being cranky
- Being hyperactive
- Yawning frequently
- The urge to urinate often
- Constipation and diarrhea
- Craving certain types of food
Some aura begins an hour or so before the head pain happens. It can be more than a distorted vision. It may also affect any of your other senses, and cause the following:
- Blind spots
- Flashing lights
- Difficulty with speech
- Seeing patterns in zigzags
- Partial eyesight loss in one or both eyes
- Numbness, tingling, or prickling sensation
- Seeing, hearing, or smelling things not really there
An aura lasts typically less than an hour. It may overlap with head pain. It is vital to take note that people with migraines are at a higher risk of heart disease, especially when they experience migraines with an aura. The risk of stroke is also high with these patients.
Caring For Your Migraines Through Upper Cervical Chiropractic
The usual care for migraines is medication, especially for migraineurs who get regular attacks. The approach is usually to stay ahead of the pain by taking prescription medication as soon as the pain starts and then proceeding to isolate yourself from loud sounds and bright lights. This approach only deals with symptoms.
If you wish to deal with the root cause of your migraines and get migraine relief in Norton Shores, then you need a different method. Let us introduce you to upper cervical chiropractic care.
A misalignment in the vertebrae of the upper neck can be the cause of your migraines. How so? A misalignment of the C1 or C2 vertebra can irritate the brainstem, which leads to head pain and aura symptoms.
Zehr Chiropractic offers natural migraine relief in Norton Shores, Michigan by performing upper cervical chiropractic. This method fixes misalignments in the neck through light pressure to help the bones of the realign naturally. Here in our office, our technique is precise and gentle and often leads to positive results. Many of our patients see their migraines go away and never return. Set an appointment with us by calling (231) 780-9900 or accomplishing this form.
To schedule a complimentary Atlas Orthogonal consultation call 231-780-9900 or just click the button below. if you are outside of the local area you can find an Upper Cervical Doctor near you at www.uppercervicalawareness.com.